It's likely that four themes above "Origin of rhythm & music", "Synchronization of body movement", "Individual interaction" and "Multimodal integration", could be investigated independently, however, we might be able to integrate those themes if we introduce a concept "vocal learning" into our researches. To examine this idea, we use vocal learning species, such as budgerigars, songbirds and humans, in bio-psycho experiments.
BA at Behavioral Sciences, Faculty of Letters, Chiba University
Ph. D at Grad School of Sci. and Tech., Chiba University
Research & Teaching
Research Associate, Dep. of Psychology, Univ. of Maryland
Research Scientist, RIKEN-BSI
Research Scientist, JST-ERATO
Assistant Professor, Grad School of Arts and Sci., Univ. of Tokyo
Associate Professor, Aichi Univeristy
- Seki Y.& Tomyta K.(2019)Effects of metronomic sounds on a self-paced tapping task in budgerigars and humans.Current Zoology, 65:121-128.
- Seki Y.,Osmanski, MS. & Dooling, RJ.(2018) Failure of Operant Control of Vocal Learning in Budgerigars. Animal Behavior and Cognition, 5(1):154-168.
- Seki Y.(2017) What budgerigars tell us about vocal communication.Journal of the Phonetic Society. 21(1):31-37.
- Seki Y.,Osmanski, MS. & Dooling, RJ.(2018) Failure of Operant Control of Vocal Learning in Budgerigars. Animal Behavior and Cognition 5(1):154-168.
- Kagawa H, Seki Y, Okanoya K. (2017) Affective valence of neurons in the vicinity of the rat amygdala: Single unit activity in response to a conditioned behavior and vocal sound playback. Behav Brain Res. 324:109-114.
- Ikkatai Y, Seki Y. (2016) Effect of conspecific and heterospecific video playback on food consumption in budgerigars and Bengalese finches. Psychologia. 59:81-90.
- Saito Y, Yuki S, Seki Y, Kagawa H, Okanoya K. (2016) Cognitive bias in rats evoked by ultrasonic vocalizations suggests emotional contagion. Behav Processes. 132:5-11.
- Ikkatai Y, Okanoya K, Seki Y. (2016) Observing real-time social interaction via telecommunication methods in budgerigars. Behav Processes. 128:29-36
- Ono S, Okanoya K, Seki Y. (2016)Hierarchical emergence of sequence sensitivity in the songbird auditory forebrain. J. Comp. Phys. A 202:163-183
- Seki Y, Dooling RJ. (2016)Effect of auditory stimuli on conditioned vocal behavior of budgerigars Behav Processes 122:87-89
- Ono S, Kagawa H, Takahasi M, Seki Y, Okanoya K. (2015)Limitations of a habituation task to demonstrate discrimination of natural signals in songbirds. Behav Processes 115:100-108
- Koumura T, Seki Y, Okanoya K. (2014) Local structure sensitivity in auditory information processing in avian song nuclei. Neuroreport.25(8):562-8.
- Seki Y, Hessler NA, Xie K, Okanoya K.(2014) Food rewards modulate the activity of song neurons in Bengalese finches. Eur J Neurosci. 39(6):975-83.
- Seki Y, Suzuki K, Osawa AM, Okanoya K.(2013) Songbirds and humans apply different strategies in a sound sequence discrimination task. Front Psychol. 4:447.
- Matsumoto YK, Okanoya K, Seki Y.(2012) Effects of amygdala lesions on male mouse ultrasonic vocalizations and copulatory behaviour. Neuroreport. 23(11):676-80
- Hasegawa A, Okanoya K, Hasegawa T, Seki Y.(2011) Rhythmic synchronization tapping to an audio-visual metronome in budgerigars. Sci Rep. 1:120.
- Seki Y, Okanoya K.(2009)The effect of sound location in a song discrimination task in Bengalese finches (Lonchura striata var. domestica). J Ethol.27(3):407-411
- Seki Y, Suzuki K, Takahasi M, Okanoya K.(2008) Song motor control organizes acoustic patterns on two levels in Bengalese finches (Lonchura striata var. domestica). J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol.194(6):533-43.
- Seki Y, Okanoya K.(2008) Functional evidence for internal feedback in the songbird brain nucleus HVC. Neuroreport. 19(6):679-82.
- Seki Y, Okanoya K.(2008) Sex differences in audiovisual discrimination learning by Bengalese finches (Lonchura striata var. domestica). J Comp Psychol. 122(1):26-34.
- Seki Y, Okanoya K.(2006) Effects of visual stimulation on the auditory responses of the HVC song control nucleus in anesthetized Bengalese Finches. Ornithol. Sci.5:39-46
Kaken Project #25285198
2013 - 2018 PI: Seki.Y
Kaken Project #24653210
2012 - 2015 PI: Seki.Y
Kaken Project #22830131
2010 - 2011 PI: Seki.Y